Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU)
Dates for 2013 REU Programs:
- Louisiana State University: May 27 - August 3
- Louisiana Tech University: June 3- August 2
- Southern University: June 3 - July 31
- Tulane University: May 27 - August 3
- University of New Orleans: May 28 - July 26
- Xavier University: May 27 - August 2
This REU project is a nine week program where students work collaboratively on a wide variety of computational science projects.
The Louisiana Alliance for Simulation-Guided Materials Application (LA-SiGMA) is a 7-member alliance of universities throughout
Louisiana. Members of LA-SiGMA provide six different sites and numerous projects for the REU student to
become familiar with interdisciplinary research. With research groups
exploring molecular interactions to model hydrophobic solubility,
parallel finite elements on unstructured meshes using PETSc and Sieve,
simulations of hydrogen storage materials, etc., the participants work on cutting edge
research in material sciences and computational tools.
The students learn how to use the most current cyberinfrastructure tools with individually designed training sessions targeted to their specific degree of preparation. In addition, since most LA-SiGMA research groups collaborate with international researchers, REU students are exposed to how international collaborations work.
The program's first summer just ended; 30 students particpated in research this summer (5 each at LSU, LA Tech, Southern, Tulane, UNO, and Xavier). Every year students will complete one central application, indicating their preferences for which REU site they would like to be a part of; the selection committee will match students with projects and faculty that meet their interests.
Each student receives a stipend of $4500, free housing in university dormitories, and up to $400 in travel expenses to and from their REU site.
We invite interested students and their faculty mentor to browse through this site and consider applying for these positions.
- December 3, 2012: Application opens. Apply here.
- March 1, 2013: Application deadline.
- April 1, 2013: Notification of decision.
- End of May, 2013 through early August, 2013: Program dates.
Other REU opportunities
- The Center for Computation & Technology REU at Louisiana State University focuses on Computational Science. More information can be found at http://reu.cct.lsu.edu.
- The Micro and Nano Engineering REU at Louisiana Tech University. More information can be found at http://www2.latech.edu/~sajones/REU/index.htm.
- The Advanced Materials Research Institute REU at University of New Orleans focuses on Materials Science. More information can be found at http://www.amri.uno.edu/Undergraduates.html.
- The Getting Students Jazzed About Research REU at Xavier University includes Biology, Chemistry, and Physics majors. More information can be found at http://www.xula.edu/reu/.
Michael Thomas, 2010 CCT REU participant, receiving the TeraGrid Conference 2010 Best Student Poster Award
"The REU has been instrumental in exposing me to the world of research," Michael Thomas said. "Before this summer I had never been involved in research before. I had certainly never before been exposed to creating posters, writing scientific papers, and having research peer reviewed. The summer REU program has been invaluable at helping me decide where I want to take my future, and helped me narrow my interests so I can pursue that future with a razor-like focus."